God in the Small Things

As I sit in a different city in my own country, it makes me wonder about a lot of things.
We stay in a built residential area and one sort of gets used to the same mundane sights, sounds and area every single day. The same brick buildings, same people, same cars, same pollution and same noise.
 
Today I had to go on a business trip away from home, to a coastal city. Didn't see much of the city today but coming home from work and being able to book into my accommodation for the night and take a walk, it just made me wonder.
 
When we get stuck in our routines at home, driving to work, seeing the same big cities, people, noise etc...Sometimes it appears difficult to see Gods wonder.
I have always been able to "see" God in nature and the bush, but in struggle to see beauty out of cities and pollution. It often makes me think that this world isn't so great.
But when I walk out of my daily "zone", I can see how wrong I actually am.
 
Taking a walk on the beach, with the see quietly touching my toes, looking up to see sea, beauty, ships, seagulls, a pier jutting out to the ocean, breaking waves and then looking down to see the odd crab run away from me, sea shells and bits of sea weed, it just cements in my mind a small picture of the world God actually created for us.
It also shows me how we have spoilt it to such an extent that, for people like me, struggle to see Gods hand in the creation and then when I get away from big cities, I can see it again. Very sad indeed!
 
Because of this, I encourage you to look at the smaller things in life. It is possible to see God in everything, if we just get out of our mundane routine where we ignore everything accept what's in front of us and rather concentrate on the little things that happen around us. Walk into the garden and notice the butterfly slowly picking a flower to land on or a weaver tweeting away while he builds a nest in a tree. This is 'stuff'' that God created and in between all of our man made buildings, cars, roads, noise and pollution, God exists, and it's everywhere....if you just look.
 
Right now, as I type this, I am looking at a pier with a few local fishermen on, and the one guy has caught a fish and is pulling it in from the sea. The excitement on his face, as this is probably his dinner for the night, just shows me what God provided us - but that's another blog for another day.
 
God is good!
God is everywhere!
God is here!
Amen
 

Comments

Popular Posts