Groaning at God

 This has got to be a real common experience for every Christian, every day. 

How many times have we turned back to God and said "Well why?". "Why have you let this happen to me?"

"I haven't done anything to deserve this treatment!" i say.

"I've sinned yes. Jesus died for my sins...surely bad things shouldn't continue to occur?"

I have to refer back to Job 23 in which Job is really suffering, way more than i ever have, and he is really having a good go at God. he is asking all the 'WHY' questions.

Job writes this in verses 8-9:

I go east, but he is not there.
I go west, but I cannot find him.
I do not see him in the north, for he is hidden.
I look to the south, but he is concealed.

The difficult part for us to understand is the "time" factor. Gods time or ours? We tend to see things or compute events in our time, which is limited. Gods time is endless and infinite.

Whilst Job was complaining here, he also knew deep in his heart that God had not left him at any stage. God had a plan, Job knew it, but he didn't understand why God had left him to suffer like he was.

But reading verses 10-12, God had a purpose in the crisis and it was not to punish Job. The trial will end and good will come from the trial. Job was still valued by God

But, if God was just and a loving God, why would we need to suffer through a period of time so God could see His plans work out.

Well it says in the Word that Christians sometimes suffer for the sake of Christ - Philipians 1:29

Because we live in an evil world, dominated by evil people, evil thoughts and  evil actions then suffering is bound to happen. The evil in the world was brought in through sin from Adam and Eve - but one day it will be removed and thrown into the pits of darkness! this plan of God needs to eventuate and yes some people are going to suffer for the sake of Christ to make that plan happen.

Look at how much suffering Paul Endured, and this was even after the resurrection of Jesus

". . . Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; . . . in perils of robbers, in perils of my own countrymen, . . . in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness—besides the other things which come upon me daily: my deep concern for all the churches"

2 Corinthians 11:25-28

Having a clear perspective of the future, and an understanding of God's purpose for us, is crucial in facing life's difficulties. Only when we earnestly look forward to the glories of the Kingdom of God can we view our own sufferings in a proper perspective. Certainly our trials and difficulties are real and cannot be wished away. Yet their long-term importance pales into insignificance when compared with the sure realization of our great calling.

How has your suffering in Christ built you up?





Comments

Popular Posts