Power through the Spirit

I found this text, which is an example of what it is like receiving the power of the Spirit:

1 Thessalonians 1:4-6

Power through the Spirit: -- "The best way I can explain how the Christian worker, in complete contact with Christ, is a power to save souls, is by the following example. Take a common bar of iron, and first bending it into the shape of a horseshoe, apply it to a battery. The stream of magnetism flows through it, and by this power it is enabled to hold, even though there be suspended from it extremely heavy weights. As long as the iron is in contact with the battery, so long does the power endure; but the moment the connection is broken the power ceases, the weights fall, and the magnet becomes only a piece of iron. Similarly the Christian worker, in immediate contact with Christ, has His Spirit flowing through him, and this Spirit is the power, and by it we are enabled to do great works for Christ: but the moment we lose touch of Christ, that moment is our power gone, and we become, for God's purpose, a mere worthless piece of clay.
(from The Biblical Illustrator Copyright © 2002, 2003, 2006 Ages Software, Inc. and Biblesoft, Inc.)

Isn't it great! To me, it basically says that we should always be in contact with Christ (not sometimes!) I know I am very bad at this, because I tend to want to speak to Christ at my convenience...But when I am not 'connected to Him, or speaking to Him', where am I?
Loss of Spirit, Loss of power of the Holy Spirit?
And then just a worthless 'christian' with no power or use! And this is what Christ did not want us to become.

My thoughts on verse 8 are that we shouldn't have to always talk to people about Christianity and how 'good and rewarding' it is and that we have eternal life and that we are 'good people'.
Others should be able to see that in us and in our works, and often, people will start to wonder what has changed or why you are so happy or content or HUMBLE!

Let us ask ourselves seriously and honestly, "What sort of a show would I make after all, if the people around me knew my heart and all my secret thoughts?" What sort of a show then do I already make in the sight of Almighty God, who sees every man exactly as he is? But take comfort also, and recollect however little you and I may know, God knows; He knows Himself and you and me and all things; and His mercy is over all His works.

Bless you all!
Reading: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Thessalonians+1&version=NLT

Christian Blog Topsites


Comments

Popular Posts