Sin and guilt

Someone mentioned this psalm to me tonight, so I went and read it thoroughly and I just love the words that David uses here.
He wrote this after he committed adultery with Bathsheba and organized for her husband to be killed.
This psalm is so true of my life and possibly for many others.

It is so easy to ask God for forgiveness and then carry on with life - but that leads us nowhere. In fact it leads into destructive guilt that we cannot override,
Remember, sin can only be removed by God. We cannot do it ourselves, we are weak and we need God here. Asking for forgiveness is useless without confessing our sin and genuinely trying to repent from it. We can't just carry on doing what we have always been doing.
Eventually it catches up on you. You become burdened with guilt, you develop a hard shell around your heart and your soul and then you doubt yourself with everything that comes your way. You tell yourself that evil is taking over and start asking God why you are in such awkward/difficult/ugly situations.
He graciously grants us forgiveness when we confess and repent. God requires true heartfelt repentance rather than rituals or words.
He wants us to take responsibility for our sins. There is so much hope for us if we want to help ourselves. If we cant be true to ourselves, how can we be true to our creator.
There is always hope for us, no matter how our pasts look.....we just need to be genuine with ourselves and God.

Read the psalm 51 below and tell me what you think. To me, it's a beautiful representation of asking for Gods forgiveness.
Bless you

Psalm 51- New living translation


Have mercy on me, O God,
    because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
    blot out the stain of my sins.


Wash me clean from my guilt.
    Purify me from my sin.

For I recognize my rebellion;
    it haunts me day and night.

Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
    I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
    and your judgment against me is just.


For I was born a sinner—
    yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.

But you desire honesty from the womb,
    teaching me wisdom even there.

Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
    wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.

Oh, give me back my joy again;
    you have broken me—
    now let me rejoice.


Don’t keep looking at my sins.
    Remove the stain of my guilt.

Create in me a clean heart, O God.
    Renew a loyal spirit within me.

Do not banish me from your presence,
    and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
    and make me willing to obey you.

Then I will teach your ways to rebels,
    and they will return to you.

Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves;
    then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.

Unseal my lips, O Lord,
    that my mouth may praise you.

You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
    You do not want a burnt offering.

The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
    You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

Look with favor on Zion and help her;
    rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.

Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit—
    with burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings.
    Then bulls will again be sacrificed on your altar.


 

Comments

Popular Posts